I wish that the TV genius would developed a reality show that might emulate my current life. Yea, there are shows like "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" or "Little People, Big World".
There are times when I wonder if it is real or staged. When the primary family member is getting a surgery, swimming pool or trips to various conferences. Is it reality or a family that is willing to have cameras, microphones, crew surrounding them 90% of the time to receive lots of money and gifts.
Maybe "Old Man Trying To Survive" a unusual title but it does explain what has been happening. I would like the money but the rest of 24/7 coverage you can buried that in the back yard.
This is the reason for today's blog. I will be celebrating my fifty-ninth birthday soon. I heard of people that struggle with the "big 4-o or 5-o" birthday. I had a tough time at during my big 3-5. I'm now looking at 59 as going to be a real struggle.This time around it is starting to be difficult. I'm currently working as a school crossing guard and a substitute custodian just to keep food, heat, lights and a few credit cards companies happy.
In the last year my current employer has had 3 openings for the same custodian position. Already they have hired two younger people to the job and has already promoted both to better paying job. I can't prove discrimination because of age. One case the candidate has a brother-in-law working within the company and the other has a business related operating licence.
The third time around I have the feeling "I have meet the competition and the competition has won" . The current competition (also younger) is related to a HR official.
I feel that I have reach the point of who will hire a 59 year old guy when you can hire a 20+ to 30+ year old. I just want to work a steady job have a few benefits. I know that I can't run with the young guns but I would be at work everyday, give an employer 8 hours of work and when I have to work extra I will be available.
At this point there are time that I feel that I have given up. But something inside is driving me to get up in the morning and go. I know there are days that I'm living in a daze. Just to have the daze make sense.
Back to the reality show I'm just waiting for the director to cry out "action".
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment